Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney
The laws of the State of California provide several options to victims of domestic violence. In California there are three types of Domestic Violence Restraining Orders (DVRO). The first is an Emergency Protective Order (goes into effect immediately), which can be issued when a police officer responds to a domestic violence call. The second DVRO that victims can seek is a Temporary (ex parte) Restraining Order. A temporary DVRO is issued upon an application to the court for protection from domestic violence. Generally within three weeks, the victim will have to appear in court for a full hearing for a permanent order of protection to be issued. Lastly, domestic violence victims can seek to obtain a permanent DVRO at any time.
How a Domestic Violence Restraining Order Can Help
The following is a general outline as to what can be ordered under a Domestic Violence Restraining Order so that you and your children are protected from domestic abuse:
- Order the abuser not to threaten, assault, follow (stalk), harass, or interfere with you or your children
- Order the police to remove the abuser from your home and help you to return to the home
- Grant you temporary full control over all assets that you may own together such as the home, a car, a boat, electronic equipment, and bank accounts
- Order the abuser to return any of your personal belongings that he or she may possess
- Order the abuser to stay away from places that you frequently go to (sometimes ordered with limits) including your work place, your children's school, the home of a friend, or any place where you might seek shelter
- Order the abuser to pay specific bills, reimburse you for monies lost due to your missing work or having to pay medical or shelter expenses because of the domestic violence
- Order the abuser to pay your domestic violence attorney fees
- Prohibit the abuser from possessing or purchasing firearms
Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney Sharman L. Brooks Can Help
Los Angeles domestic violence attorney Sharman L. Brooks is a leading advocate for abused victims. For almost ten years, Los Angeles domestic violence attorney Sharman L. Brooks has been helping domestic violence clients obtain the justice they deserve. At the Los Angeles domestic violence law firm of Sharman Brooks, it is our mission to help those who have suffered from domestic violence regain control over their lives.
Los Angeles domestic violence lawyer Sharman L. Brooks understands the legal and emotional issues that surround domestic violence cases. As an expert Los Angeles domestic violence lawyer, Sharman L. Brooks empowers her clients through information and all means available to insure that their rights are protected. As a leading Los Angeles domestic violence lawyer, Sharman L. Brooks also represents those falsely accused of abuse. Sometimes during a divorce or separation, people are falsely accused of domestic violence because their partners simply want them out of the home or away from their children. In such situations, Los Angeles domestic violence lawyer Sharman L. Brooks works vehemently to protect her clients' interests.
For more information on how Los Angeles Family Law attorney Sharman L. Brooks can help you, contact us today for a free initial consultation.
Contact us about your legal matter today!